Flag Carrier: Nigeria’s National Airline is Reborn

Nigeria unveiled the proposed national airline, Nigeria Air, at the Farnborough Airshow held in London this July 2018. This comes 14 years after, Nigeria Airways, the former state run Airline ceased operations.

The Minister of State for Aviation, Hadi Sirika, unveiled the airline calling it the ‘flag carrier’ of the nation.

He stated the airline will be privately owned and the government will have a maximum stake of 5%, leaving 95% for private investors who are free to run it as they like without interference from the government.

Sirika assuaged the fears of Nigerians who pointed out that the first national airline failed due to mismanagement and corruption saying “We will have a well-run national flag carrier, a global player, compliant to international safety standards, one which has the customer at heart.’

The airline is expected to commence operations by December 2018.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s